Saturday, June 23, 2012
Pistachio-Honey Cake with Berries & Cream
Source: Better Homes & Gardens
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup pistachio nuts, ground (plus 2 TB extra to top)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup plus 2 TB honey
1/2 cup milk
2 TB orange juice
8 oz. cream cheese or 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 pint strawberries, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 325. In medium bowl combine flour, cornmeal, ground nuts, baking powder, & salt.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat butter with mixer. Ad 1/2 cup honey; beat until fluffy. Slowly beat in eggs 1 at a time. Add 3/4 of the flour mixture; mix until just combined. Mix in milk & remaining flour mixture. Spread batter into oiled 9 inch round cake pan. Bake 35 minutes or until cooked in the middle.
3. Cool cake on wire rack 10 minutes; remove cake from pan into plate.
4. Meanwhile, in small saucepan heat 1/4 cup honey and orange juice, whisking to combine. Brush mixture onto warm cake until absorbed. Cool cake completely.
5. Meanwhile, in medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese. Add cream and 2 TB honey; beat until well combined. Place in refrigerator until cake is cooled completely. Spoon topping on cake, letting it drizzle down the sides. Top with strawberries & ground pistachios.