Source: Vegetarian Times Makes 12 enchiladas
Twelve 6-inch corn tortillas
1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup salsa
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup water
2 cups cooked black beans
1 10-oz. round queso fresco, divided
8oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tsp. chile powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. minced onion
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1. To make Filling: Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft. Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, salsa, garlic, and 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft. Mash mixture with potato masher until combined. Add black beans, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in half of queso fresco, and remove from heat.
2. To make Sauce: Bring all ingredients to a simmer in saucepan over medium heat. Whisk to combine, then remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. To assemble Enchiladas: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spread 1/2 cup Sauce in bottom of dish. Fill tortillas with Filling. Roll, and pack close together seam-side down in baking dish. Top with remaining Sauce and queso fresco. Cover with foil & bake 15 minutes.
Source: Pampered Chef Makes about 1 1/2 cups
One 6 oz. package baby spinach leaves (about 8 cups)
1/4 red pepper, sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 TB capers
3/4 cup green olives
1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
1 TB lemon juice
2 TB grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
1. Place spinach in large microwaveable bowl; cover & heat 2 minutes until leaves are wilted.
2. In food processor, place red pepper, garlic, capers, & olives. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add spinach, basil, lemon juice, cheese, & oil; process until desired consistency is reached.
3. Cover & refrigerate until ready to use. Serve with crackers or bread rounds.
Mama Owl- powdered donuts, buttercream frosting, & malt balls for mama eyes, orange gumdrops for beak & claws
Baby owls- life savers & mini chocolate chips for eyes, orange tic tacs for beak & claws
Slivered almonds for feathers
Other ingredients: cloud cookies... use sugar cookie dough & form into clouds
Tips: Cut cake in half, divide frosting into the colors of the rainbow, use lots of food coloring to obtain the dark colors, dab plain frosting on the ends of the cake
Other ingredients: green gumdrops, oval-shaped cookies, mini chocolate chip cookies
Tips: Cut 1 round cake into the bottom petals, mold green gumdrops into a stem, color half the frosting with red food coloring to make an orange color.
Source: Prevention magazine Makes about 24 appetizers
24 grape tomatoes
1 baguette, sliced into rounds
3/4 cup pesto
12 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
pepper to top
1. Preheat oven to 425. Arrange tomatoes in oiled baking dish; spay tops with cooking spray. Roast, shaking dish occasionally, until tomatoes are just wilted & slightly charred. Let cool.
2. Place bread slices on baking sheet; broil until lightly toasted. Remove from oven; spread pesto evenly among them. Top each with mozzarella & tomatoes; sprinkle with pepper.
3. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, until mozzarella is melted.