Monday, November 25, 2013
Source: Vegetarian Times
Makes at least 3 cups
2 russet potatoes
12 button mushrooms
3 carrots, cut into chunks
3 celery stalks, cut into chunk
1 cup onion chunks
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 TB olive oil
1/4 cup red wine
1 TB tomato paste
1/4 cup fresh parsley springs
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried sage
2 bay leaves
1. Preheat oven to 425. Cut 1 potato into large chunks, and place in large baking dish with mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, & garlic. Toss with olive oil. Roast at least 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until vegetables are browned.
2. Transfer veggies to a large pot; stir in 8 cups water & remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
3. Strain liquid into another large pot. Discard solids or keep to add to a soup. Dice remaining potato into small chunks and add to liquid. Simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 3 cups. Let cool a little.
4. Transfer mixture to food processor and puree until smooth, adding water if necessary to adjust consistency. Season with salt, pepper, & extra parsley if desired. Place in lidded container & refrigerate until ready to use.
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Makes 6 servings
2 TB olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups vegetable broth (32 oz.)
2 cans black beans (14 oz each), drained & rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
1 tsp each: cumin, salt, cinnamon, allspice
1/2 tsp pepper
baked pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)
1. Heat oil in large pot; saute onion & garlic until fragrant.
2. Place beans, tomatoes, & 2 cups broth in food processor; puree until smooth. Stir into onion/garlic mixture. Stir in pumpkin & spices.
3. Simmer uncovered 40 minutes until thick.
Sunday, November 3, 2013
Source: Cooking Light
6 side dish servings
1 parsnip, peeled & sliced into 1/8 inch rounds (2 cups)
1 turnip, peeled & sliced into 1/8 inch rounds
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 1/2 TB flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400. Bring 6 cups water to a boil in large pot; add parsnips & turnips and cook 7 minutes until just tender. Drain & transfer to oiled baking dish.
2. In small saucepan, combine milk, broth, flour, salt & pepper. Bring to simmer & cook until thickened, stirring often. Stir in cheese until melted. Pour evenly over vegetable mixture.
3. Sprinkle Panko evenly over the top, and bake 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Source: Better Homes & Gardens
Makes 5 patties
19 oz. can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs, divided
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 egg, beaten
3 TB olive oil, divided
1 TB parsley flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400. Place beans in mixing bowl & mash. Stir in 3/4 cups bread crumbs, carrots, onion, egg, 1 TB olive oil, parsley, salt & pepper.
2. Shape mixture into 4 patties. Coat in remaining 2 TB oil, then coat in bread crumbs. Place on oiled baking sheet & bake 8 minutes per side. Serve on buns with condiments, or a la carte.
Source: Favorite Brand Name Vegetarian, 3 Books in 1
Makes 30 appetizers
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
1 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup creamy salad dressing (such as Ranch), plus extra for dipping
1 egg, beaten
salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375. Place beans in food processor & pulse until mushy. Transfer to bowl & stir in remaining ingredients.
2. Shape mixture into small patties, using 1 TB mixture for each. Place on oiled baking sheets.
3. Bake ~8 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Serve with extra salad dressing for dipping.