Saturday, August 25, 2012
Source: Better Homes & Gardens (slightly modified by Aimee)
Makes 4 servings
10 oz. linguine or other pasta
19 oz. can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
1 small lemon
3 TB olive oil
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding beans for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove 3/4 cup cooking liquid; set aside. Drain pasta & beans; cover to keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, finely shred peel from the lemon (about 3 tsp). In food processor combine lemon peel, juice from the lemon, basil, olive oil, salt, pepper, & 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Cover & process until smooth, adding remaining liquid until desired consistency.
3. To serve, toss hot cooked pasta mixture with lemon-basil mixture.
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Source: The TVP Cookbook
1 cup textured vegetable protein crumbles (TVP)
3/4 cup hot water
1 TB ketchup
2 TB olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
15 oz. can diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
10 oz. frozen mixed vegetables
salt & pepper to taste
1. Combine TVP, hot water & ketchup in bowl; set aside.
2. Heat oil in large pot; saute onion & garlic. Add tomatoes, broth, basil, oregano, & TVP mixture. Stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil & stir in veggies. Simmer until heated through; season with salt & pepper.
Sunday, August 5, 2012
Source: Clean Eating (Rachel Parker)
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 TB buttery spread (vegan, if desired)
2 TB pure maple syrup
3/4 cup corn kernels
oil for frying
1. In large bowl, whisk milk & vinegar until frothy. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, & salt; set aside.
3. Whisk buttery spread & syrup into milk mixture until combined. Fold in cornmeal mixture until just combined. Add corn kernels & stir all together. Refrigerate for 5 minutes.
4. Heat skillet on medium-high. Working in batches, fry batter in 2 Tb increments. Cook for 1 minute, until bubbles form. Turn & cook until golden, about 1 more minute. Garnish with yogurt, fruit, or applesauce.