Sunday, September 14, 2008
Honey-Almond Layer Cake
Source: Vegetarian Times
3/4 cup slivered almonds, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. grated lemon zest
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup honey
8 oz. Neufchâtel cheese, softened
1/2 cup honey
1. To make Almond Cake: Preheat oven to 325˚F. Coat 2 9-inch round pans with oil, and dust with flour. Spread 1/2 cup almonds on baking sheet, and toast 5 minutes.
2. Chop remaining 1/4 cup almonds to a powder in food processor. Combine flour, lemon zest, baking soda, salt, and ground almonds in large bowl.
3. Whisk together egg yolks, oil, and honey in separate bowl. Fold in flour mixture. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold egg into batter. Divide between prepared pans; bake 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool.
4. To make Glaze: Blend Neufchâtel cheese and honey in food processor until creamy. Chill 30 minutes.
5. Place 1 Almond Cake layer on plate and spread with 1/3 Glaze. Place remaining layer on top and spread remaining Glaze over top, letting it drizzle down the sides. Sprinkle with almonds.