Sunday, September 14, 2008
Source: Vegetarian Times
Makes 6 rectangles
Oil for frying
6 oz. asparagus, cut in 1 inch pieces (or try another veggie)
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 oz. baby spinach leaves
5-oz. log goat cheese
1/4 cup pesto
1 (17.3-oz.) pkg. frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed (each sheet cut into 6 rectangles)
1 1/2 cups pasta sauce
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat oil; add asparagus, bell peppers, and onion; sauté 5 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Add spinach and stir until spinach wilts.
2. Combine goat cheese and pesto in bowl.
3. Lay rectangles of puff pastry on well-floured work surface. Spread pesto-cheese mixture on 1/2 of each rectangle (keeping edges clear); top with sautéed vegetables. Fold pastry over & press edges firmly with fork to seal tightly. Place on oiled baking sheets.
4. Bake 12 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown. Meanwhile, heat sauce in saucepan until warm.
5. To serve: Spoon sauce onto plates and top with rectangles.