Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Szechuan-Style Tempeh (served warm or cold)
Source: All About Vegetarian Cooking
Makes 4 small servings
8 oz package tempeh, cubed
4 TB soy sauce
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
oil for frying
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
¼ cup chopped green onion
¼ cup peanut butter
2 TB rice vinegar
1 TB cooking sherry
4 tsp sesame oil, divided
1 tsp chili paste
¼ cup chopped peanuts (optional)
if serving cold: 1 sliced cucumber, chilled, cooked rice noodles
if serving warm: cooked brown rice
1. Combine tempeh, 2 TB soy sauce, ginger, & peppers; let stand 30 minutes.
2. Place 1 tsp oil in skillet; add tempeh mixture, red pepper, garlic, & green onion. Saute until browned.
3. Combine the following: peanut butter, rice vinegar, cooking sherry, 3 tsp sesame oil, chili paste, & 2 TB soy sauce.
4. If serving cold: Chill tempeh mixture; spoon over rice noodles & drizzle with peanut sauce. Garnish with cucumbers & chopped peanuts.
5. If serving warm: Add peanut sauce to tempeh mixture in skillet; stir & cook until heated through. Serve over rice & garnish with chopped peanuts.