Sunday, September 13, 2009
Savory Veggie Burgers
Source: Family Circle (modified by Aimee)
Makes 10 pattiesYummy but time-consuming! You can make the mixture ahead & refrigerate 1-2 days until you're ready to make & bake patties. Freeze leftovers if necessary.
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 TB oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
2 TB soy sauce
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
1 medium zucchini, grated (about 1 cup packed)
1 cup shredded cheddar
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
10 cheese slices, optional
1. Cook rice in 2 cups water (~45 minutes); set aside.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350. Heat oil in skillet; saute onion 2 minutes. Add mushrooms & cook ~4 minutes. Add soy sauce & cook 2 minutes more; remove from heat.
3. Transfer contents of skillet (drain liquid) to food processor. Add garbanzo beans and pulse until until mixture is crumbly. Transfer to large bowl.
4. Add the following to the bean mixture: cooked rice, zucchini, cheese, & bread crumbs. Stir to combine. Add egg, salt & pepper; stir well. Let mixture stand 5 minutes.
5. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. With wet hands, shape mixture into 10 patties and place on sheet. Bake 20 minutes, remove from oven, & carefully flip patties over. Bake another 10 minutes.
6. Turn oven to low broil setting. Broil patties for 5 minutes; carefully flip over & broil another 5 minutes. Optional: remove from oven, place cheese slices on top, & broil 1 more minute.
Serve with condiments alone or on whole wheat hamburger buns.