Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls with Honey-Butter Glaze
Source: Evie, of course!
Makes 4 dozen
8 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 TB cinnamon
2 TB yeast
2 cups warm milk
1/2 cup oil
2/3 cup plus 1 cup honey
2 tsp grated lemon
2 TB lemon juice
2 large Granny Smith apples
12 TB butter (1 1/2 sticks)
2 cups raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. In large bowl, stir together flour, salt, nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
2. Place yeast in bowl & whisk in warm milk; stir until yeast is dissolved. In large bowl whisk together oil, 2/3 cup honey, eggs, lemon peel & lemon juice. Add yeast milk to honey mixture & stir well. Add to flour mixture and mix well until a dough forms.
3. Place dough on lightly floured surface & knead; place in oiled bowl & turn to coat the surface. Cover & let rise in warm place 1 hour or until doubled in size; punch down & divide into 4 balls.
4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350. Peel & grate apples. Melt butter & combine with 1 cup honey. Oil 4 pie dishes and/or round cake pans.
5. One at a time, roll each of the 4 dough balls into a rectanlgle about 1/4 inch thick. Brush with 1/4 cup of the honey-butter mixture; sprinkle with 1/4 of the grated apple, 1/2 cup raisins, and about 2 tsp cinnamon (and 1/4 cup optional nuts).
6. Starting with one of the long sides, roll dough into a spiral; cut off doughy ends and slice into 12 pieces. Place each piece cut side up into oiled pan (about 12 per dish). Brush tops with remaining honey-butter mixture. Bake at least 30 minutes or until lightly browned.