· 16 oz.penne
· 1 pint heavy cream or half-and-half
· Oil for frying
· ¼ cup finely chopped yellow onion
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
· 6 ounces Havarti (cubed), or other soft cheese
· 1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
· ½ cup white cheddar, shredded
· 3 tablespoons sour cream
· Salt and freshly ground pepper
· 2 eggs, beaten
1. Heat oven to 400º. Butter a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Drain and return to pot. Stir in sour cream, salt & pepper, & eggs.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic. Stir in flour. Gradually whisk in cream. Cook over moderate heat until thickened, about 3 minutes. Whisk in cheeses until melted.
3. Pour cheese sauce over pasta and toss to coat evenly. Add pasta to cast-iron skillet.
4. Bake for about 35 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown. Allow mac and cheese to rest for about 5 minutes, then serve.