Saturday, January 1, 2011
Aimee's Szechuan Tofu
Makes 6-8 servings
2 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
24 oz. firm tofu, drained & pressed
1 large crown broccoli, chopped into florets with long stems
2 TB oil
2 large carrots, peeled & sliced diagonally
1 bunch green onions, sliced in 1 inch bits
3 TB cornstarch
1 TB dry mustard
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup water
1/4 cup sherry
1/2 cup tamari
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 TB minced garlic
1. Place rice & 5 cups water together in pot; bring to boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer 45 minutes. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400. Cut tofu into triangles & place on oiled baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes per side until browned & a little crispy; remove from oven & put on plate.
3. Heat oil in skillet; add carrots and broccoli & saute until broccoli turns bright green. Add green onion & saute a little more.
4. Place cornstarch, dry mustard, & peppers in medium saucepan; wisk in water. Stir in sherry, soy sauce, rice vinegar, & garlic. Bring to slow boil & stir until thickened.
5. Place veggies & tofu in large bowl, add sauce, & stir gently to combine. Serve hot over cooked rice.