Makes 8-12 cups soup
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped (1/2 to 1 cup)
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (3 cups)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half
- 2 TB fresh dill
- 2 TB fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large soup pot or dutch oven, melt the butter. Add the onion and saute over medium heat, until softened, but not browned. Add the potatoes, carrots, and broth (if needed, add water so veggies are just covered). Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer the soup, covered, until the vegetables have softened, about 20 minutes. Stir in dill & parsley.
2. Using an immersion blender (or a food processor, working in batches), process the soup until smooth. Stir in the milk, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy hot, or divide into containers and freeze for later use.