Thursday, February 2, 2017
Lowfat Vegetable Soup
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup diced carrots
4 cups chopped cabbage (approx. ¼ head of cabbage)
1 cup green beans (1" pieces)
2 whole bell peppers, chopped
1 can (28 oz) low sodium diced tomatoes
6 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon each thyme & basil
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups sliced zucchini
1. In a large pot cook onion & garlic over medium heat until slightly softened.
2. Add carrots, cabbage & green beans and cook an additional 5 minutes.
3. Stir in bell peppers, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, bay leaves and seasonings. Simmer 6-7 minutes.
4. Add in zucchini & broccoli. Simmer an additional 5 minutes or until softened.
5. Remove bay leaves before serving.