Source: New Moosewood Cookbook
5 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
2 sticks butter, softened
1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour (use 3/4 cup for fudgier brownies)
Optional: 1 cup walnuts or chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350. Slowly melt chocolate; let cool for about 10 minutes.
2. Cream the butter & sugar in large bowl with electric mixer, until light & fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in vanilla.
3. Stir constantly as you drizzle in the melted chocolate. Beat 1-2 minutes more with mixer.
4. Stir in flour & optional ingredients. Mix just enough to blend thoroughly.
5. Spread into oiled 13 x 9 pan. Bake 25 minutes or until cooked in the middle. Cut into squares while still hot, then cool at least 10 minutes.