Sunday, February 9, 2014
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Source: Vegetarian Times
Makes 8 servings
3 TB olive oil
4 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp chili powder, plus extra to sprinkle
1/2 tsp coriander, plus extra to sprinkle
3 cups corn kernels
2/3 cup cornmeal
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup buttermilk
4 TB melted butter or olive oil
1/3 cup goat cheese crumbles (3 oz.)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (3 oz.), plus more to sprinkle
15 oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 large poblano chile or 1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 bunch green onions, sliced (reserve some for sprinkling)
1. Preheat oven to 350. To prevent squash halves from wobbling on the baking sheet, cut a thin slab off the bottom of each so they can sit flat.
2. Combine oil & 2 tsp minced garlic in small bowl. Brush squash halves with garlic oil; sprinkle lightly with extra chili powder & coriander.
3. Place cornmeal in mixing bowl. Whisk in 1/2 tsp each coriander and chili powder, along with sugar, baking soda, salt, & cayenne. Set aside.
4. Pulse 2 cups corn in food processor until finely chopped & milky. Set aside.
5. Whisk together buttermilk & eggs in separate bowl. Whisk in butter, pureed corn, remaining 1 cup corn kernels, goat cheese, cheddar, and remaining 2 tsp garlic. Fold in cornmeal mixture; fold in beans, poblano or red pepper, and green onions.
6. Divide filling among squash halves. Sprinkle each with extra cheddar & green onion. Bake 45 minutes or until squash are tender and filling is set.