Tuesday, July 25, 2017
Ultimate Flourless Brownies
Source: Oh She Glows Every Day
1 TB plus 1.5 tsp flaxseed meal
3 TB water
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 TB arrowroot starch
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup almond butter
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with parchment paper, with overhang so it can be lifted out).
2. In large bowl, whisk together flaxseed & water; let sit a few minutes. Stir in salt, baking soda, syrup, vanilla, arrowroot starch, cocoa, & sugar. The batter will be thick.
3. In separate small bowl measure almond butter & whisk until creamy (best not to use the dry almond butter at the end of the jar... should be creamy). Transfer to mixture & stir until thoroughly combined. Stir in chocolate.
4. Scoop the thick dough into the prepared pan. Use moist hands to spread out evenly. If desired, scatter the walnuts on top & press gently into dough.
4. Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges start to firm up (the middle will look underdone and sunken in a bit). Let the brownies cool in the pan 20-30 minutes.
5. Place the pan in the freezer another 20-30 minutes (brownies will slice cleaner when chilled). Lift the parchment paper to remove brownies from pan.; slice into small squares.